Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wind Power

Greetings Grade 5's!
Wow, what a fantastic in-class workshop we participated in on Wednesday! I learned a great deal about wind turbines, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to build and test my own. Our educator, Sarah, was so knowledgeable and I was grateful that our class was able to share in this together.
I would like everyone to complete a short follow-up activity at home over the weekend. Your task is to read this article on Wind Power from National Geographic online. The article is short, and once you have read it please answer these questions in your Science & Technology notebook:
1. Over the past decade, how much has wind turbine use has increased each year?
2. How many homes in the United States can the biggest wind turbines generate enough electricity to supply?
3. Why is wind energy is a clean and excellent source of renewable energy?
4. What are some complaints people have about wind turbines?
5. Do you think the advantages of wind energy outweigh the disadvantages? Why?
I hope everyone has a great weekend, and I am looking forward to discussing this article in our next Science & Technology class.
Sincerely,
Ms. Greenberg
Wind turbines on a cloudy day

No comments:

Post a Comment